Sunday, July 19, 2009

Mini Zucchini-Tomato Frittatas


These little frittatas make a great breakfast, brunch, or lunch item. They are fairly quick to make, easy, and make use of terrific summer produce. This recipe can be adapted to any season. For example, use Swiss chard and fresh chopped thyme in autumn; or green peas,asparagus, and tarragon in the spring.

On another note, I am leaving town for about 10 days. My husband, my daughter, and I are going to Michigan to visit family, so I won't be updating my farmers market picks. I did go this last Saturday however, and it looks like summer is in full swing. All kinds of melons have shown up, and eggplants are everywhere. I am sure August is going to bring lots of tomatoes, corn, okra, and more summer squash and green beans. Can't wait!!!

Mini Zucchini-Tomato Frittatas
Summer, Makes 12 frittatas

-1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
-1/2 red onion, diced
-2 zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and sliced thin
-1 large tomato dice, or 10 grape sized tomatoes quartered
-1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
-1/4 cup chopped basil
-8 large, farmers market organic eggs
-salt and fresh ground white pepper

Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. When hot, add in the onion and saute until beginning to soften and brown, about 3-4 minutes. Add in the zucchini and saute until just tender. Toss in the tomatoes and season to taste with salt and white pepper. Let cool slightly.

Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees. Line 12 baking cups with muffin papers. Add the crumbled feta and the basil to the cooled zucchini. Whisk up the 8 eggs in a large bowl and fold in the zucchini mixture. Season with a little more salt and pepper.

Divide the frittata mixture up between the 12 muffin cups. Bake in the heated oven until set and slightly brown on top, about 15-20 minutes. Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.

3 comments:

Jen said...

I know you're leaving town but thought I'd mention that Central Coast Magazine and Live Artfully Magazine are having recipe contests... if you haven't already, you should enter some of your awesome creations! They are sure to get in!

Correne Quigley-Faysal said...

Thanks, I didn't even know. I'll check it out today!

Trish said...

These are really adorable and must be delicious with all those great ingredients. Love the idea of frittata cupcakes. Thanks for sharing.