Thursday, April 2, 2009

First Question!!

I've been asked my first question! Thanks Carolyn, so great to here from you, I am really glad you like the blog. Carloyn asked where to find golden beets and fresh garbanzo beans.

I buy my golden beets at the Saturday morning farmers market in San Luis Obispo. This market is located in the Bed Bath and Beyond parking lot, and is from 8:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. This is the market I do almost all of my shopping at, though I am known to roam the other markets just for fun. Golden beets are not as readily available at the farmers markets as red beets are. Most vendors that sell red beets will also sell golden beets, but not as frequently. Because of this, it is a little hard to assume you will find golden beets any given week. Generally though, they are more frequently available in the spring, with a more steady supply. Golden beets are very sweet, just like red beets, but with much less of that "dirt" (I say this with affection), taste. They can be used just like red beets in salads, roasted as a spring vegetable, or sliced thinly for a slaw (see Golden Sunshine Slaw, May 15 2008 post).


Fresh garbanzo beans have an extremely short season, about 3 weeks. La Familia farm from Los Osos (they have that great pumpkin patch during autumn located out on Los Osos Valley Road), sells fresh garbanzos in the the autumn at the Saturday morning SLO market. We probably won't see them until September (if I remember correctly). Fresh garbanzos are really fun, I am already thinking of recipes for them. They look like fat little green pods of edamame. La Familia farm also sells the best ever dried pinto beans, as well as other dried beans. Now you have no reason to buy dried beans from the store! Their dried beans are so fresh that they need no soaking and cook fairly quickly.

On another note, I just want to give a quick thanks to everyone who attended my cooking class at Edna Valley Vineyards last night. I had a great time, and thanks for your positive feedback and support.

No comments: